Thursday, January 31, 2013

Workaholic

I started working at my current job in June of 2010, which means I've had the same job for 2 years and 8 months. In the volumes of my personal history I have several chapters of different jobs I have held; some I quit because I was bored or found a better offer, some I left because I moved, some I fulfilled my temporary status and the job was completed, others I parted ways with because of what we'll call (*ahem) artistic differences with a boss, etc., but overall I didn't hold any of those jobs as long as I've held this one. I'm on a roll!

And I'm completely bored.

Honestly, I've been bored with my job for quite a bit of time now, maybe even half of the time I've been working here...but who's counting? My role in the company has changed, and while I've helped the company grow in volume of business and number of personnel on staff I feel like I've reached a point where I can no longer progress or move up in the company. My last raise was in June 2011, and my last request for a raise was turned down. Anyhow, I've been trying to stick it out as long as possible, mostly because a regular paycheck is healthy for my lifestyle, and to be honest, my job has felt very secure. I know what to expect when I go in to the office, I know what is expected of me, and I haven't felt qualified enough to make the leap into the field I came to California hoping to work in.

Hopefully that's all about to change!

In order to entertain myself and extend my patience (read: keep my sanity) at my full-time job, I have started picking up side jobs. I have progressed enough in my aerial training to start booking some performance gigs (as you saw in this other post), I am an instructor of birthday parties at one aerial studio, help out as needed with private events and introductory classes at another studio and, FINALLY, after nearly 3 years in Los Angeles, I have started working in Entertainment Management! I am currently working alongside a gal I met before the move to California booking a small Northwestern tour for a couple of musicians. It'll take some footwork before the booking thing starts bringing in the dollars and allows me to transition into entertainment full-time, but it's paying me with industry experience and a wealth of contacts in the meantime. I can deal with that.

So, for your enjoyment, check out these artists - coming soon to a venue near you!*
*As long as you currently reside in Northern California, Oregon, and Washington state... =)

www.shanealexandermusic.com
www.kylemcneill.com

3 comments:

  1. I celebrated my third year anniversary at my company in October, and I'm in the exact same place as far as boredom and knowing that I've hit the ceiling where growth is concerned.

    I'm excited and happy for you and the direction your career is taken. And a little bit jealous. I don't even have a clue as to what I'm working towards anymore.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete