Friday, November 28, 2008
Not a very good representation I'm sure... I haven't been really into TV since before my mission. 1. Gilmore Girls
2. The Office
3. Dharma and Greg
4. Basically any family based reality show on TLC when I'm at someone's house that has cable
7. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
8. The Amazing Race
8 things that happened yesterday:
1. Washed my hair (no - not an everyday occurance anymore!)
2. Woke up early
3. Took my final exams for my Human Resource Management and Hospitality Accounting 2 classes
4. Found another roommate to join my apartment in January!!
5. OFFICIALLY FINISHED SCHOOL FOR THE SEMESTER!
6. Had an Office Season 3 party at my house
7. Took apple cider to a friend at school
8. Had a wrestling match with my roommate Airline
8 things I am looking forward to:
1. Getting my grades!
2. Spending 10 days in Colorado for Christmas
3. Applying for graduation
5. My trip to New Zealand with Ashley Peterson
6. Winning more dance competitions
7. Paying off my school loans
8. Having a family
8 things I love about fall:
Nearly everything my sister does...
1. Walking outside and smelling the air
2. Cozy clothes (I love sweaters!!) and finding your gloves in the pockets of your coat the first time you put it on for the season
3. Peppermint and Sleepytime tea
4. Knowing that Christmas is just around the corner
5. Watching the leaves change colors
6. Playing in piles of leaves
7. Pumpin EVERYTHING!
8. Corn mazes.
8 things on my wish list:
1. A husband
2. An ipod
3. A trip to Uruguay
4. New clothes
5. Slightly thicker hair
6. Insurance. Or at least enough money to get my cavities taken care of.
7. A horse
8. The right kind of screws to put my desk together (I can't find them ANYWHERE!)
8 people I am tagging:
1. Heather Davenport
2. Jessica Alleman
3. Kate Smith
4. Chelsea Beauchamp
5. Open for the taking!
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Monday, October 20, 2008
We've all heard of those common names that are owned by nearly half of the population (example: Jane Smith, etc), so I ask: How original is your name? Using this neat online website you can find out! And I am pleased to say: I am the one and only Melissa Hellewell. It's a good day!
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Where were you 10 years ago?
Ten years ago I had just started my Sophmore year of High School - It was the year I didn't have many extra-curricular activities; I had dropped Choir and was no longer in Westernairs, and my parents didn't let me try out for the musical or color guard because my grades hadn't been too good... I did however get to do the Fall play (Spoon River Anthology), and I designed the choir T-shirt.
Five things on today's to-do list?
Like Heather said, today is over. But as for tomorrow...
1. Attend Jorge's Baptism
3. Pack my room
4. Move in to my new apartment!
5. Bust a move at the YSA Decades Dance (dressed as Cher in the 80's - of course!).
A Snack I enjoy:
Real fruit popsicles are my current kick.
Things I would do if I were a millionaire:
I'd probably drop out of school, pay off my loan, travel anywhere I wanted to go (New Zealand, all of Central and South America, Europe, the rest of the 50 States I haven't been to yet...), buy a sweet house somewhere in California and hang with the stars!
Places I have lived:
St. Louis, Missouri
Mink Creek, Idaho (If you count a summer nanny job)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Detroit, Michigan (another summer nanny job)
Corona, California (summer nanny job #3)
Provo, Utah (If the MTC counts...)
Colonia Suiza, Uruguay
Now I tag...
Stephanie Pollock, Diego and Mariela Hellewell, Krystin Christopherson, Jessica Alleman, Chelsea Beauchamp and Shelli Armstrong.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Let's say for example that someone wants to throw a party. Now, I don't mean - "Hey, my (son/daughter/niece/nephew/neighbor's dog/etc.) is turning 6 and we want to invite their friends over for a small gathering" kind of deal, but rather corporate parties, convention parties, awards shows, film festivals, etc. In this case, the Disney corporation was in charge of hosting a reception for the opening night of the symphony at the Hollywood Bowl back in June.
So, what is our company's job? Make it happen! For this event Disney wanted to do an "Under the Sea" theme (appropriate, right? Think Finding Nemo), and gave us ideas of what they wanted as far as decor along with a proposed budget. It was fun! We designed and provided all decorations used for the member's only reception down to the napkins and centerpieces placed on the tables inside the Hollywood Bowl itself.
These are just a couple of the tables (we had about 7 colors used throughout all the front boxed seats), with the seashell centerpieces which I helped make.
Our goal of the reception was to make it feel like you were really under the sea:
We also had bars that were filled with large goldfish (Koi??), and others that were covered in fish netting.
To finish off the look we created floral arrangements for the buffet tables and hung more jellyfish from the ceiling.
I had a blast out in Hollywood getting to work hands-on with this event, and also look forward to doing what I really want to do: managing performing artists!
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
I'm copying this (minus the picture... that's really my handiwork) from my sister Stephanie, who copied it from our cousin Daniele.
I hope you'll all play!
1. As a comment on my blog, leave one memory that you and I had together. It doesn't matter if you knew me a little or a lot, anything you remember! I guess good or bad, but be nice!!!!!!!
2. Next, re-post these instructions on your blog and see how many people leave a memory about you. If you don't want to play on your blog, or if you don't have a blog, I'll leave my memory of you in my comments.
Sunday, June 1, 2008
I got to take a trip out to Los Angeles on the 16th to see my brother Diego's graduation from Southwestern Law School, and I really enjoyed the time with my parents, brother and his wife Mariela. We wandered up and down Venice Beach, ate at a wonderful authentic Argentine restaurant (it was just like the food from my mission in Uruguay - and I even found my favorite brand of Alfajores!), and just relaxed! There always seems to be new and fun things to see and do out there... like visit the store that sells hundreds of brands of sodapop, including ones they don't bottle anymore! I broke my self-imposed "no soda" rule for the weekend and had... well, let's say several! I was also pleased to finish off the weekend by dying my hair dark brown, getting a henna tatoo (it's already gone), and giving myself a nice sunburn. What a good trip!
I flew back home on the 19th, and the next day was the date I had chosen to give myself an early birthday present and went to see Cher's show at Caesar's Palace.
I once again packed up my bags and headed out of town on Saturday the 24th to go to Colorado. I realized sometime during the 11 hour drive that I had entered the MTC exactly 2 years ago! I couldn't believe it! While in Colorado I got to spend a lot of time with my sister Stephanie and her family; I took care of her three girls while she was still in the hospital after having her baby BOY! We were all so excited to have him come home - he's a cutie!
Yesterday (May 31st) all of the Elders that started the mission with me were scheduled to arrive home. It's kind of a sad but happy day all at the same time! Sad because the numbers of missionaries that I still know out in the field are dwindling, but happy because I know they all served a great mission and finished what they were sent out to do.