Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Achoo!

Yesterday I spent a good portion of the work day sneezing. I can't believe I'm feeling sick AGAIN; I think this may be the third cold I've had since the beginning of the year!

I can normally predict when I'm going to get sick, due to being in close contact with 4 other people in my office and knowing too much about their personal habits. It's almost guaranteed that when my boss comes into the office sick I end up with the same thing two days later. I've tried putting out hand sanitizer where he'll use it (he doesn't), wiping down my keyboard, mouse, phone, and doorknobs with Clorox wipes, my coworkers and I tried to convince our boss to work from home the first few days he's feeling sick (that never happens), and one coworker brought in a large box of Emergen-C for everyone to use. I still get sick. It's becoming increasingly frustrating every time I start getting the sniffles - why can't I stay healthy? This time though, I can't put the blame on my boss - he's out of town.

I've tried some of the typical things to avoid getting sick - drinking more water, getting more sleep, etc. but so far I haven't seen much improvement. I occasionally drink some Emergen-C at work, but have been hesitant to drink too much since I have an allergy to oranges (or vitamin C or citric acid...not sure exactly what I'm allergic to, I just know orange makes my eyes swell up and itch). Last night at the grocery store I started stocking up on different items I was hoping would help me kick this cold quickly and keep me healthy for a while. I bought some throat drops, Airborne, herbal tea meant for congestion, spicy soup, some vitamins with a little vitamin c, and... a carton of orange juice. I know I'm taking a gamble here, but am obviously feeling desperate. I need something to boost my immune system.

Cross your fingers I don't wake up rubbing my eyes tomorrow - I'm opening the juice tonight.

2 comments:

  1. :-( no fun. Try taking a zinc supplement throughout cold season. Maybe a multivitamin too. Lots of veggies, fruit and wash your hands a lot -and especially after visiting a public place like the grocery store, the studio, church, etc. . A lot of people seem to get sick a couple days after church because for as often as the building gets "cleaned" I have yet to see the touchable surfaces sanitized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try putting Vicks chest rub on the bottom of your feet before going to bed (wear socks) and then immediately toss the socks into the laundry the next morning.
    Studies have shown that the Vicks vapor rub actually attracts the virus to it (taking it out of where it's currently taking up residence - you) and it is then found in the residual rub on your socks.
    Gross - but kinda cool at the same time.

    ReplyDelete