Monday, May 27, 2013

Under the Big Top

Friday night a dream of mine came true. I GOT TO FLY ON A TRAPEZE RIG IN A CIRCUS TENT! Now let me give you the back story.

Monday afternoon I went to the Santa Monica pier for a flying trapeze class where I was introduced to Christina. Christina is a pro flyer who has been in Pop Circus in Japan, Circus Vargas, and is getting ready to leave for Orlando where she will be in Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba. Monday however was not one of my better days flying (the pier isn't my favorite rig, and I felt a little stressed by present company) and I ended up embarrassed to do so poorly in front of a pro.

A few days later I met up with a friend for dinner to discuss a project that I agreed to help him with. Another friend, Krista, was also in attendance with Robert- another pro flyer who is currently a catcher for Circus Vargas. Robert invited us to come see them perform, to stay after the show was over to see their flying trapeze practice, and maybe, just maybe get a chance to fly on their rig!

So Friday I headed to Orange County and enjoyed the show- and noticed that Christina was flying. After the show Krista and I were invited to fly (yay!), and up the ladder we went.

The Vargas rig has two trapezes side by side, and is about 10 feet higher than the rig I fly on. I won't lie, I was intimidated. I stood up on the pedestal for a while watching the pros take their turns and could feel my heart pounding in my chest. I was nervous that I was going to fly as bad as I did on Monday. When my turn finally arrived I took off and gave it my best. I flew much better than I had anticipated and loved getting coached by the pros. Talking with Christina afterward she gave me some compliments, some advice, and commented on how different (aka-better) of a flyer I was when I wasn't attached to heavy safety lines or worried about who was flying with me. It was a fantastic night.

1 comment:

  1. Cool!
    Our desktop computer is out of order right now, so I just caught up will all of you previous posts.
    That one weekend sounded super crazy busy.
    I can't wait to see you fly in person. :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete