Saturday, February 23, 2013

On The Hunt

I seriously dislike looking for a job. In the past it has been difficult to find positions in the entertainment field (as the industry is often based on who you know), and let alone positions that I feel qualified for, and I'm really not very good at interviewing. How bad can I be, you ask? When I was 24 years old I almost didn't get hired at Target (which was supposed to be a shoo-in job even for someone in high school) because of my interview. I also ran for homecoming queen one year in college and was eliminated after the interview round. I'm just not good at answering incredibly open-ended questions in a way that puts me in a positive light.

So here I am, once again looking for a job in the entertainment industry and potentially facing more open-ended questions in the interview process, but I am finding that it's a little easier this time. Many companies now have their jobs posted online (thank you, LinkedIn), even ones in the entertainment field! I have found several jobs just in the last week that I have been able to apply for just by typing in a little bit of personal information and quickly uploading a resume and cover letter. Better yet, I now feel like I have some experience under my belt and I'm finding more opportunities I feel qualified for. Ignoring the fact that some jobs have more than a hundred other applicants, I'm staying positive and preparing myself for the next step if someone decides to call me in for an interview. I have to remind myself that my last employment interview resulted in a full-time position I held for more than 2 1/2 years - I CAN DO THIS!!

3 comments:

  1. Yes you can! Praying for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you! Here's a tip that works for me...I like to arm myself with information about the company I go in to interview with and have at least five or six questions of my own at the ready. Not only does it make me look interested but it often gets the interviewer talking and gives me a break. Maybe that would help you a little, too. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kyla! I'll be sure to prepare a few questions to take the pressure off of me! =)

    ReplyDelete