Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Little Bit of Charity Goes A Long Way

On Sunday I was approached by a gal at my church whose face I recognized, but I couldn't remember her name. That's kind of how it is for me with a lot of people there- I recognize them, have probably had a brief conversation, maybe two with them, but don't end up committing their name to memory when these brief conversations don't convert into a friendship in the long run. It's usually the same on their end as well.

As a side note I tend to dislike the small talk conversations that take place when you're first getting to know someone; they're all the same:
"Hi, what's your name? Where are you from? Have you lived here long? What do you do out here? Cool, nice to meet you!" If I wore the answers to those questions on a sign around my neck would you come up with something different, or just not ask me anything at all?

But back to my story about Sunday... Though this gal asked me if she was correct, she did remember my name, and started a real conversation with me. When she learned that I was on the hunt for a new full-time job and not receiving a lot of response from the amount of positions I've been applying for she offered to take a look at my résumé and see what she could do to help. She contacted me the next day to schedule a time to meet up later in the week, and she offered the use of her computer since my laptop died on me several weeks ago. She then followed up this afternoon to confirm our meeting time.

Tonight she spent over two hours with me rewriting my résumé in a way that highlights my skills that relate to the jobs I'm applying for. I've never had a résumé that looked this good! If that wasn't more than generous, she immediately had me log in to LinkedIn and update my information to match the new résumé. She wasn't obligated in any way to help me, and she didn't want anything in exchange for helping me. I am incredibly grateful for the time she took to help out someone in need, just because she could.

2 comments: