Friday, May 27, 2011

Preemptive Blogging

We all know that with Spring and Summer come the countless numbers of wedding invitations in the mailbox. There is nothing wrong with these announcements - it's great that these friends have asked me to celebrate their big day with them. I do try to attend as many of these events as time and money allow.



Becoming ever more common these days though is the post-nuptual creation of a blog. The blog background gets decorated, the first post includes some form of the explanation "since we're married now, we thought we should have a blog," and three pictures appear down the side bar - an individual shot of each of the newlyweds, and one of them together with captions like "Him, Her, Us!" to ensure that you, the reader, didn't miss the fact that they are perfectly blending their two lives into a single entity.



Cool.



Now, if you know me at all you know that I have nothing against blogs. I have three of my own, one I contribute to with my family, and one that I set up for my friends and I to collaborate on. Blogs are fun! What I don't understand however, is the urge one suddenly feels to join the blogging world solely because they tied the knot. Is marriage considered a pre-requisite for starting a blog? It is almost as if one doesn't gain the knowledge of blogging until they have a ring on their finger. Or maybe they didn't think their life was interesting enough to blog about beforehand. It's kind of like the Christmas card club... you don't see single people sending out a picture of themselves accompanied by a letter of what they did during the year.



I pondered on these thoughts for a while, looked around, and have found that "saving blogging for marriage" does seem to be the trend. Take a gander at some of your favorite blogs and look at their friends list; I'd be willing to bet that the majority of those people are married bloggers. I understand that some of these people may once have posted companionless, but my guess is that the majority did not. One list in particular that I found on a friend's blog backed my thinking. I am the ONLY single blogger listed:







So since I blogged before marriage I have come to the conclusion that I must either be ahead of the curve, or committing some sort of sin. To hell with it. I need your addresses - I think I'll send out Christmas cards this year.

6 comments:

  1. To be fair, I did blog before marriage. Actually, I blogged WAY more often before marriage, but I did create a separate blog specifically for our family updates around the time we began dating seriously. The other blog I keep for my private musings... but it seems that I have less to talk about nowadays (on either blog) because I like to keep my marriage pretty private. Besides, no one really cares about all of the stuff married people do anyway. Unless it's worth sharing (exciting trips, promotions, other big news), I find no reason to post about our daily lives.

    I guess that's one more thing that makes me unconventional ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not married and I have a blog. However, I am not repenting. We can both be sinners!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not married and I have a blog. However, I am not repenting. We can both be sinners!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you.
    And I completely agree.
    You've got my address.
    I expect a Christmas Card. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely ahead of the curve! You're much more exciting than married people anyhow! =) I vote for Christmas cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Melissa!

    I love your blog! I love keeping up with friends and sometimes blogs are the only way to do that. I use my blog in place of a journal since I don't like to use pen and paper very much. Please keep blogging! You are keeping track of your happenings.

    And if you send out Christmas cards..I would love one! I haven't reached the point of cards yet, but I love getting them in the mail. I will send you my address if you are serious :)

    Heather

    P.S. I somehow misplaced your email address...will you send me a quick email at: nayr0223@hotmail.com? That way I can update my info. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete