Thursday, October 7, 2010

I CAN Change The World!

Surveys. We've all been asked to complete/fill out a survey, give feedback, etc. at one point or another. Most often I ignore them, but on the rare occasion I do take the time to comply with a survey request I promptly forget about them once they are completed. That was obviously something that happened to me this summer when I was traveling a bunch. I filled out a survey about one of my flights, and then forgot about it. I can't remember actually filling out a survey, let alone if I filled it out online or by physically checking off boxes on a sheet of paper. Actually, I think the last one is correct. I vaguely remember handing something to a flight attendant once while at cruising altitude. But maybe that was my trash.

Anyway, I remembered today that I have an email account (meaning, I checked my email for the first time in a week), and this is what I found in my inbox from American Airlines:

Dear Ms. Hellewell:

We appreciate your participation with our survey dated July 19.

Your comments regarding the cleanliness of the windows have been forwarded to the appropriate management personnel who will use them constructively as we continue to search for ways to improve all aspects of our service.

Ms. Hellewell, again, thank you. We will do all possible to make your experiences pleasant and trouble-free on American Airlines.

Sincerely,
Sara Holmes

Customer Relations
American Airlines

I'm not sure why I found this so funny, but it sent me into a small fit of laughter. Maybe it was the way they made it sound all formal with their phrasing of: "cleanliness of the windows." Or, maybe it's just because we've ALL been there - you manage to score a window seat on the plane, you get all your stuff shoved under the seat in front of you, you wiggle into a semi-comfortable position and fasten your seat belt, turn to look out the window, and BAM! Someone's greasy forehead print is smudged perfectly across the middle of the window fogging up your view of the tarmac.

But maybe, just maybe, the funniest part is that the airline actually read my comment, deemed it important enough to not be tossed in the recycle bin, and have decided to do something about it.

That's one small step for man, folks.

1 comment:

  1. What would have made me love this even more is if they had awarded you with something.

    They probably thought it was so important because it was actually something they could do something about without costing more money.

    ReplyDelete