Friday, July 30, 2010

Hill Cumorah Pageant 2010

I love upstate New York in July! Never mind the flying bugs, scortching heat, random deluges, etc... July in Palmyra is Pageant time!! (Can you find me??)




The first time I participated in the Hill Cumorah Pageant was with my entire family back in 1996 when I was 13 years old. I think my parents got the idea of signing up from my mom's sister Karen, who had been in the HCP with her husband Earl and their kids in 1994. Their family were cast members again in 1996 too - which was great fun!




I loved being in the Hill Cumorah Pageant so much I always knew I wanted to go back; and finally last year, after another 13 years, I applied and went back.



I couldn't resist. Waiting another 13 years wasn't an option, so I applied in August of 2009 yet again, and headed out east at the end of June. I really like that I've been able to participate in different roles each time I have been in the Hill Cumorah Pageant; and I love that I get to dance! You're not allowed to audition for a dancing role until you're 14, so in 1996 I was in a group scene as a convert at the Waters of Mormon (don't know what I'm talking about? Email me - I'll fill you in!). Last year I was a Ceremonial Dancer, and this year I was a Nephite Dancer and a Destruction Stunt Victim. I got to die in an incredibly dramatic way that included a giant fireball and leaping down a short flight of stairs and tumbling to the ground. It was great!

2 comments:

  1. I see you! I loved the processional. Who took the picture? Was it a practice? Such great memories! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,

    I wondered if it would be ok for me to re-post this post to the HCP75th Blog?

    If you could email your permission to me at hcp75th@gmail.com that would be great!

    Heather Gist

    ReplyDelete