Sunday, June 28, 2015

Spoon Full of Sugar?

I'm starting to dislike the grocery store. Over the last couple of years I've progressively avoided super packaged and prepared foods for various reasons - too much salt, everything is processed with soy (which makes me gassy), I just don't feel good when I eat it, etc. Overall we all know stuff like that isn't very healthy for us anyway. Not to say I haven't occasionally bought a package of pop tarts! Hey, no one is perfect.

It's come to a point where I now only walk down the same 5 aisles in the store before spending the remainder of my time getting fresh fruits and veggies. Today shopping was even more difficult. Because of my 32 goals I spent extra time looking for more vegetarian meal options, and looking at sugar content. Guys - sugar is in EVERYTHING. While my goal is to cut out the candy, desserts and processed crap I use to feed my habit, I decided it would be wise to check out the sugar content in other things I'll be eating as well to really clear my diet of as much sugar as possible (fruit is still okay!). I looked at some gourmet vegetable soups - the second ingredient listed was sugar. I looked at "plain" cereals like rice chex and all-bran flakes - there was just as much sugar as frosted flakes and honey nut cheerios (which contains more sugar than honey). Eventually I found ONE box of cereal that had no sugar, so I bought it. Some type of shredded wheat. It will be great with bananas or strawberries on top.

It seemed like everything I looked at had sugar in it; it's kind of shocking to realize just how much sugar is being snuck into foods. Anyway, my options at the store are looking incredibly limited. I know I can meet my goals, but it will be an interesting six months or so! Maybe I'll go check out Sprouts or Trader Joe's and see if their options are any better.

On the plus side, California strawberries are fantastic right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment