Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Old And The New

I've officially made the decision to stay in California. I know I've already been living here for three months, but don't doubt that I had thoughts weekly about packing it all up and going home to Colorado.

Part of the moving process, of course, is making new friends. I really don't have a hard time meeting people, so I do already have a few handfuls of friends I can call up and plan to spend time with any given week. I don't however have any friends within walking distance like I had for the past two years in Las Vegas; where I had lived as close as two apartments away from one of my closest friends. Then of course, I also had wonderful roommates for a year and a half that I would see on a daily basis. My roommates were great girls, and great friends!

One thing I miss is that established relationship and knowledge about my friends and their lives. The friends that could sit in a room without talking and not be uncomfortabe, friends who would randomly run errands with you - even if it meant walking to Walmart in the middle of the night for toiletpaper or the next morning's breakfast, or friends that you could just show up at their front door unexpected and they'd invite you in and let you to stay for hours. Friends who'd come find you when life was getting you down and do something nice for you like buying your favorite smoothie or replenishing the stack of tissues while you'd bawl your eyes out, or friends that would go along with your crazy ideas/adventures and come up with some of their own.

Friendships like that take time, and work! And while I'm working at developing friendships like that here, I sometimes just wish that it was already done. I wish someone here already knew me; about my life, about my past experiences, and that I already knew everything about them. It's kind of lonely without that kind of friend readily on hand for life's daily adventures.

Now - who wants to go to the store with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment