Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Post Grad

So, while I am still working on catching my blog up on the happenings of 2009, I have decided to try and add more of my personal thoughts about current happenings in my life throughout the year. So far my blog has mostly been a storybook of my life's activities (complete with pictures!), but thanks to some examples from friend's blogs, I have wanted to add a little more to my blog this year. Sorry if it gets boring, y'all.

Tonight was a night of movies... first with my ward for FHE, and then at a married friend's house. At this friend's house we watched Post Grad. Haven't heard of it? Don't worry - you'll learn everything you need to know from the movie in this post. In other words, it's not that great. In fact, it's really strange and random and our little group of friends pondered on why so many great actors such as Michael Keaton, Carol Burnett, Alexis Bledel and Bobby Coleman would waste their time on such a flick. Anyway, I digress.

The main part of the movie centers on recent college grad Rydan Malby who always seemed to have her life planned out. Not long after turning her tassel things start falling out of place. Her car gets knocked out of comission from a hit and run accident, she doesn't get the job she had her sights set on because of her "arch nemesis" and is unable to move in to her new apartment because the lack of a paycheck. She then ends up moving back home with mom, dad, little brother and grandma, and looses her best friend Adam Davies when he realizes that she has nothing more that platonic feelings for him. The majority of scenes focus on Rydan either looking for a job, coping with family, avoiding the nemesis, and crushing Adam's dreams (Hm. Like I said, not very good). Eventually, the family learns how to function together, Rydan is offered the job that the nemesis gets fired from, and she realizes that she does in fact love Adam - after he's moved across the country for law school. So, what does she do? Quits her new job, flies across the country and lives happily ever after with Adam.

Okay, so you've now been long asking yourself, "why has Melissa dedicated an entire post to this sub-par phenomenon?" Only because I feel some of her pain - minus the whole "everything just works itself out" part at the end. For now.

I graduated from college just over a month ago, with a full-time job offered to me. I had my plan! I was never the type of kid who had their career decided on since kindergarten; I didn't even pick a major until after I had my Associate's Degree. Anyhow, I had finally settled on something, and busted my butt for 7 months doing intern work for the company to ensure my spot. And it had worked! For a while.

The first day I went in to work as a paid professional was the day that my plan fell apart. The company was suddenly downsizing, laying people off, and unable to give me the promised job. So, my business cards met the trash can, and like Rydan I found myself frantically searching out job leads and picking up a random job on the side to try and hold me over.

I'm now losing my condo. Well, technically I'm not losing it... but I'm letting it go. I will not be renewing my lease after the end of February without having an income. I'm hoping to relocate to anywhere that has a job in my field for me, but in all honesty I'll most likely be moving in with family either in California or Colorado; I have a room offered to me in 3 different houses. While I love my family, I would definitely feel as if I was regressing a little in regards to my independence. And no, there is no best guy friend/potential love of my life out there waiting for me to discover my feelings for him, although I did have a guy recently tell me that I'm almost (if not everything) he's looking for in a spouce, and then he proceded to tell me that he was interested in persuing a relationship with another girl. While I had decided that I wasn't interested in persuing a relationship with said guy and encouraged him to develop the relationship he is currently in, it still hurts the pride a little bit when you hear "you're great, but she's better" ...you know? Don't get me wrong, I have no ill feelings toward the guy; he's incredibly honest with people and it would be totally unfair of me to want or expect him to pine after me just because I like attention from guys. I'm happy for him!

Anyway, I digressed again. To sum up the movie analogy I felt like I understood the frustrating part of being finished with college and not having it be of any help in moving on to the next part of my life. I guess I could have said that a lot quicker and a lot better than I just did. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Still researching job leads for you here. We'll find something eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. . .wanted to see that movie, guess it's not really worth it, bummer. You wouldn't be digressing to move back in with family - for awhile anyhow! That's what family is for! We love you and KNOW that something amazing is going to jump out and snag you soon!

    ReplyDelete