Saturday, January 10, 2015

Little Blessings

Working as an aerial instructor is not the same as a 40 hour per week office job. Obviously, I don't work in an office and I definitely don't work 40 hours a week! In fact, I don't think I've ever met an aerial instructor that teaches 40 hours a week - besides the job being physially demanding, studios typically want to offer a variety of classes and instructors that fit the many different needs of their students.

Right now I have a rather light teaching schedule of 5 classes per week between two studios, totaling 5 hours and 15 minutes of teaching time. Even though I get paid competitive wages for my classes, 5 hours a week is not quite enough work to afford any sort of California lifestyle (hello, rent!). Because of the need to pay my bills I often pick up side jobs: foreign language tutoring, house sitting, dog sitting, kid sitting, floral set ups...you get the picture. As it is, there are some months where I worry that I won't be able to pay all my bills on time.

This month was starting to look like one of those worrisome months; I had even put off grocery shopping and was making do with what I have in the cupboard to save money.

!!Side note!! 
I'm not starving by any means, I just can't splurge. I try to stock a few extra supplies in the pantry during the more profitable months for occasions such as this one. I'm good. Honest.

A few days ago I was very happy and grateful to be asked by one studio owner to sub a LOT of classes for another instructor when she goes out of town later this month. I didn't take every class I was offered (I turned down the Sunday classes to attend church), but I am doubling my weekly workload for nearly three weeks! I'll be doing a bit more running around between studio locations, but I am totally jazzed that the studio owner reached out to me first.

Worrisome month? Gone. Someone is totally watching out for me.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Tender mercies are incredible! :) Sending your Christmas presents tomorrow. . .promise!

    ReplyDelete